Thursday, February 16, 2012

I love maps

My father, who was a master bookbinder, collected beautiful National Geographic maps. He bound a handsome portfolio for his maps and one day he gave me the portfolio. Mapping remains a source of discovery and inspiration. During my advertising agency years, I mapped many a creative and marketing strategy. In my studio, each drawing and each painting is a map to lead the viewer and myself from one place to another, whether abstractly or representationally. Ministry is a map that leads from promise to deliverance, from forgiveness to healing. Undergraduate and graduate studies have been expansive maps of knowledge management and knowledge creation. Communication is a map to bring a relationship forward from the early stages of contact to mature stages of fellowship, with the promise of uncertainty reduction en route to fulfilled and loving relationships. The Bible is a map of God’s Master Plan for life. Life in the Spirit is a map for learning to trust the voice of God as I venture along the “highway of holiness” towards greater freedom. One such map has become a passion I cannot contain. It’s the map of the Kingdom of God, a profoundly experiential journey that offers laughter and tears, and with each step the glimpses of the kingdom become a vision, a greater revelation of the incredible destiny that lies ahead.


“Cerulean’s Map,” by Gerrit Verstraete, 30 X 22, 2009. Cat. No.1133. Metal point media on ground on Stonehenge Paper ( 76.4 X 56.7 cm ).

No comments:

Post a Comment