Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Huggites



I was introduced to this very special faith community in 1981. The Huggites are not to be confused with the Huguenots, who were a French Protestant movement during the 16th and 17th century. My spiritual father, the Rev. Bern Warren (United Church) was a Huggite. Every time my wife and I went to his Friday night charismatic meetings (Bezek Centre) in Campbellville, just west of Toronto, during the 1980’s, he greeted us and everyone who was so inclined, with a hug. It was rather amusing as well, because the Huggite’s dance began with one arm up, the other down, in a sort of 1:00 o’clock and 7:00 o’clock position, hoping the other person would have his or her arms in the opposite down/up, 7:00/1:00 o’clock position to avoid an unsuccessful hug. I have been a Huggite ever since, and (with people’s – men and women - consent of course) I have found the practice to be of immense value in the journey of ministry. Sometimes a hug is worth a thousand words.

No comments:

Post a Comment